Learning to Balance Your Life Energies
You’ve no doubt heard about Qigong, but how much do you really know about the benefits of this simple practice? Qigong opens up any blocked energy channels in the body and offers greater engagement and more profound connection with all life. In this workshop, you’ll learn:
- The simple movements, visualizations, and breathing exercises of Qigong and how to develop your own daily practice
- How to use Qigong as an antidote to emotional fatigue, burnout, anxiety, depression, and a range of physical ailments
- How to enhance your capacity for connecting with clients by balancing your own energy, especially when they are out of balance
Patrick Dougherty, MA, LP, a psychologist in private practice for more than 35 years, has been studying Eastern philosophies and practices for 25 years and integrating them into his clinical work. He’s the author of Qigong in Psychotherapy: You Can Do So Much by Doing So Little and A Whole-Hearted Embrace: Finding Love at the Center of It All.
Exploring a New Way to Engage Your Male Clients
Therapists often struggle to find leverage in working with defensive or avoidant male clients reluctant to engage emotionally with their partners or in the therapy room. But while they resist deeper psychological inquiry, evoking the masculine virtue of integrity can help men develop a new vision of who they wish to be. Then from this place of integrity, they can become more focused on taking responsibility for their own behavior and why they act and react the way they do. We’ll explore how to:
- Help men internalize and organize behavior around the five attributes of integrity: honesty, vulnerability, guilt/remorse, listening, and direct expression of feelings
- Learn techniques to get men to embrace their vulnerability and acknowledge difficult-to-address issues, such as sexual intimidation, threatening behavior or passive withdrawal
- Practice drawing up specific action plans for men that will lead to their making amends to their partner while also restoring their own sense of dignity and integrity
Patrick Dougherty, MA, LP, a psychologist in private practice for more than 35 years and has been focusing on men’s issues for over three decades. He’s the author of Qigong in Psychotherapy: You Can Do So Much by Doing So Little and A Whole-Hearted Embrace: Finding Love at the Center of It All.